BAE Systems Military and Veterans
Many servicemembers and Veterans are known for possessing sharp technical capabilities and experience with complex equipment. If this describes your skills, you can beat the transition uncertainty and put them to use at one of the largest contractors for the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) — BAE Systems, Inc.
With headquarters in Falls Church, Virginia, BAE Systems, Inc., a subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, is an international defense, aerospace, and security company delivering a wide range of products for air, land, and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions, and customer support services.
Major business lines of BAE Systems Inc. include electronic warfare, sensing, and communications equipment; armored vehicles, artillery systems; naval guns and naval ship repair; and cybersecurity and intelligence services.
If BAE Systems is on your dream workplace list, look no further than Empire Resume. In this article, we’re getting to the heart of the careers you can have at BAE, discussing how it gives back to Veterans and showing you how to apply.
What is a Defense Contractor?
BAE Systems is one of the largest contractors for the DoD. During your job search, you’ll constantly run across the term “defense contractor.”
So, what exactly is a defense contractor?
A defense contractor, as defined by the Code of Federal Regulations, is “any individual, firm, corporation, partnership, association, or other legal non-Federal entity that enters into a contract directly with the DoD to furnish services, supplies, or construction.”
In other words, a defense contractor can be a person or company who contracts with the federal government to provide a service or product.
The government invests heavily in its support services and products for national defense, so private contractors are always seeking talent. BAE Systems is currently hiring for its $150 million campus in Austin, Texas.
Now, let’s move on to the types of careers you may have at BAE Systems.
Careers at BAE Systems
BAE Systems hires military veterans in the following job categories:
- Engineering & Technology: Design products and systems that support enhanced military capabilities, protect national security, and keep critical information and infrastructure secure.
- Business Development, Strategy & Planning: BAE Systems wants business development and strategy professionals who excel at building relationships, demonstrate deep industry knowledge, and deliver the insights and networks to provide answers.
- Finance & Accounting: Be the backbone behind managing all the financial aspects of programs and contracts for over $10.8 billion in revenue for BAE Systems.
- Manufacturing & Maintenance: If you’re into welding, machining, or fabricating, BAE is looking for you!
- Project & Program Management: Be responsible for supervising complex, million-dollar projects and bringing together high-performing, diverse teams to execute and deliver on BAE’s commitments to its customers.
- Supply Chain & Logistics: Be a key piece of the quality and cost savings puzzle for BAE’s customers.
- Intelligence: If you take pride in supporting missions that protect the nation, BAE has positions for you!
- Other Professionals: BAE is always looking for HR, communications, facilities, corporate IT, and more professionals. If you have what it takes to make the world a safer place, BAE is the place to be!
BAE Systems’ Way of Giving Back to the Brave Servicemembers
BAE Systems prides itself on giving back to Veterans through rewarding employment opportunities that align with their experiences.
Let’s briefly review the company’s commitment to the military by the numbers. As a top-rated military employer, BAE Systems was named a Military Friendly Employer by G.I. Jobs in 2021 and currently ranks number 7 on the 2022 Military-Friendly Employer list. Finally, almost 20 percent of its workforce are Veterans.
In addition to its many onboarding programs, mentorship tracks, veteran recognition programs, and employee resource groups for Veterans, its flagship program includes the Warrior Integration Program.
Warrior Integration Program
BAE Systems created the Warrior Integration Program (WIP), a 36-month or 3-year rotational program to integrate Veterans into the company. Essentially, it gives a foot in the door to those who want to work for a defense contractor.
Participants are expected to complete three 9 to 12-month rotations in several areas including manufacturing, supply chain, or leadership.
Through the WIP program, you can apply before you even leave the military so you can start job training early. In this program you’ll gain:
- On-the-job training
- Mentorship and guidance through the transition process
- Full-time job at BAE Systems upon program completion
The program is open to any post-9/11 U.S. combat veteran who was wounded, ill, or injured because of direct combat action on a combat tour of duty.
Interested in applying for this program? Visit jobs.baesystems.com and type in WIP in the search box for current vacancies.
How to Apply at BAE
BAE Systems says its job application process is easy and takes a few steps. Below is a brief overview of applying at BAE:
- Find Jobs Using the BAE Military Skills Translator
Use the BAE military skills translator to search for jobs by entering your MOS, Rating, or AFSC in the search box on the military veteran job site.
Once you find a position that interests you, click the “Apply Now” button. From there, you’ll create login credentials to create a new candidate account where you can upload your resume and complete the application.
When it comes to your resume, a senior talent acquisition specialist at BAE Systems recently noted “competition is fierce, and hiring managers are fatigued. All the more reason to get straight to the point.”
If you need assistance, allow Empire Resume to transform your military to civilian resume to get you the job you deserve at BAE Systems.
- Application Review
After completing the application, a representative from the BAE talent acquisition team will review your application and evaluate your qualifications to find the best candidate for the position.
If you impressed the hiring team on paper, you’ll be invited to interview. Prepare for a civilian interview with tips from Empire Resume!
During the interview, you’ll be asked a series of questions about your professional background, what you’ve accomplished so far and what makes you the ideal candidate. It’s important to note that you should be ready to discuss anything on your resume.
Check out BAE Systems’ interview tips for more insight.
BAE Systems will extend an offer to the best candidate. If you’re the chosen one, congratulations! You’ll be given detailed information regarding onboarding forms and other requirements, such as a security clearance, that need to be completed before your start date.
- Security Clearance (required for some positions)
Many of BAE Systems’ available positions require a security clearance. Before applying for jobs, be sure to check out the job summary which contains the clearance level an applicant must possess or obtain.
Learn more about clearance requirements at BAE Systems, Inc.
Benefits at BAE Systems, Inc.
BAE Systems is bringing the benefits to support Veterans and their families every day. In addition to the typical medical, prescription drug benefits, retirement, and time off, BAE Systems benefits go above and beyond.
Additional benefits include:
- Emotional: Some emotional benefits include the Veteran Support line through Cigna insurance and an employee assistance program (EAP).
- Financial: 401(k) savings, disability coverage, and legal plans, just to name a few, to support your goals at every stage of life.
- Everyday life: Employee discount programs, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, and identity theft protection will be in place no matter what life throws your way.
Put In Your Application at BAE Systems Today!
Now that you understand the opportunities at BAE Systems, you should be ready to move forward with your application. Don’t feel like you have to walk the transition path alone, though. Empire Resume will help you secure the dream job you’ve always wanted at BAE Systems, Inc. From resume writing to cleaning up your LinkedIn profile, we’ll deliver the results you need, guaranteed!
Empire Resume Will Help You Transition into the Civilian Workforce
We specialize in writing military resumes!
Dr. Phillip Gold is President/CEO of Empire Resume and has vast experience writing resumes for both professionals and service members transitioning from the military into civilian roles. He served as a Captain in the U.S. Air Force and was responsible for leading nuclear missile security. Phillip is a Certified Professional Resume Writer and holds a BA in Communications from The Ohio State University, an MS in Instructional Technology, an MBA in Finance, and a Ph.D. in Finance.