How to Get an Entry Level IT Job
How to get an IT job with no experience
Getting a job in an area with no formal experience can be difficult. Getting a job in a specialized area such as IT can be a daunting task. Some tips to consider:
- Start a blog; find a topic that you are passionate about and want to work in. Start a blog and evidence your knowledge on the subject for prospective employers. Include your blog on your resume.
- Network; identify contact with experience in areas or organizations that you aspire to work in, connect with them, schedule coffee, meetings, or a sit down to ask their advice and build your network. LinkedIn is a great place to network.
- Leverage Relevant Skills; Just because you haven’t had a formal IT job doesn’t mean you don’t have value to offer, IT jobs still require communication, organization, and attention to detail, to name a few.
In addition to those tips you need to have your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile all optimized, check out our article 5 Steps to Landing an Interview for more information.
Entry level IT positions
- IT Support Technician; support technicians acquire great hands-on experience in a variety of areas throughout the organization. They can use this experience to identify and pursue areas of interest where they would like to further their careers.
- Business Analyst; Business Analysis focus on more documentation and application level focused tasks, they write manuals, work with vendors, and offer support to users.
- Help Desk Analyst; Similar to IT Support Technicians, Help Desk Analysts often support a variety of areas throughout an organization remotely.
- Intern; organizations often hire seasonal interns. These internships can lead to job opportunities down the road and expose them to real-world situations under supervision.
Best entry level IT jobs
Many IT jobs can start as entry-level jobs, based on demand and salary data from US World & News Report, we outline the top three entry-level IT jobs:
- Software Developer
- Web Developer
- Information Security Analyst
Information Technology Majors
There are many technology careers to choose from, and as a result, there are many technology degrees to choose from. Technology degrees come in all forms – Associates, Bachelors, Masters and specialize in all the many topics of computing from engineering, to software and hardware to prepare for the future.
- Computer Engineering; provides a deeper dive into how computers work, and how to make them better
- Computer Forensics; a new but rising field, people with these degrees perform investigative tasks on areas such as cybercrime
- Computer Science; these degrees provide a foundation of knowledge for computer hardware and software and technical skills such as programming
- Management Information Systems; also referred to as Business or Accounting Information systems, these degrees prepare students for blending business applications and situations and information systems
Best tech degrees
The best technology degrees are the degrees that prepare students for in-demand jobs with great pay. Programs may differ from institution to institution, here are two of the best technology degrees:
- Computer Engineering; Bachelors of Science
- Management Information Systems; Bachelor of Science
Even though there are many great options to choose from, and a degree isn’t always required, these degrees offer students preparation for many IT careers in multiple fields.
Information Technology Fields
Different IT jobs
As of April 2019, the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates an increase of over 557,000 IT jobs, or a 13% increase through 2026. They detail some of different IT jobs available, summarized below;
- Computer and Information Research Scientists; create new approaches to computer technology while also designing new ones
- Computer Network Architects; they design and build communication networks for data
- Computer Programmers; write and test code for the web, desktop, machines and more
- Computer Support Specialists; assist in solving computer problems for users and organizations
- Computer Systems Analysts; combine both business and IT in corporate settings to create efficient processes
- Database Administrators; these workers manage data structures for organizations
- Information Security Analysts; focus on the security of applications within an organization
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators; manage the day to day operations for computer networks
- Software Developers; similar to computer programmers, these individuals write code for computer programs
- Web Developers; similar to software developers, these individuals write code for applications that function entirely on the internet (e.g., via website)
Top IT career fields
- Engineering Field; computer engineering will be relevant as long as organizations expect their computers to do more, run faster, and help them solve problems.
- Architecture Field; architects design the company’s overarching IT structure, they will always be in need as long as large companies use technology to do their jobs.
- Web Development Field; web developers are in a unique situation where they can demand a high salary for jobs that are in-demand with great outlooks
Best IT Jobs
Best IT careers
US World & News Report created their own methodology to identify the best IT jobs. Their top 5 IT jobs were:
- Software Developer
- Computer Systems Analyst
- IT Manager
- Information Security Analyst
- Database Administrator
Top paying IT jobs
The Bureau of Labor Statistics identifies the following IT jobs with the highest pay:
- Computer and Information Research Scientists; median salary $118,370
- Computer Network Architects; median salary $109,020
- Software Developers; median salary $105,590
Most fun IT jobs
Fun IT jobs depend on the individual, their interests, and their skill sets. Many jobs involve solving complex problems, designing something brand new, and creating applications that end-users operate daily. Some fun IT jobs can include:
- Mobile Application Developer
- Web Developer
- Data Scientists
- Technology Consultant
- Software Developer for Artificial Intelligence
IT Resume Examples
Maria Gold is a Content Manager/Writer for Empire Resume. She is dedicated to helping educate people with the latest career articles and job search advice. When Maria is not working, she enjoys reading and spending quality time with her family.
15 thoughts on “How to Get an Entry Level IT Job”
I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thank you, I¦ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?
Empire Resume says:
Thanks for the compliment. We update our website with new and relevant blog posts at least weekly.
Data entry jobs from home are generally easy – easy to do and easily a scam. In this post, we’ll cover the skills and equipment needed and 10 legit jobs .
There are a few ways you can include your salary history. First, you can include the history in your cover letter , briefly stating what you earn now.
University of Utah Jobs . Skip to Main Content. … 3 Jobs in Midvale , … University of Utah Health- Midvale , Utah Featured Jobs ; Current Search Criteria. Midvale , UT …
6750 Statistics Major jobs available. See salaries, compare reviews, easily apply, and get hired. New Statistics Major careers are added daily on SimplyHired.com. The …
Search and compare average salaries by company, job title, and location.
Review the best entry – level jobs in finance for college graduates that offer both higher than average salaries and opportunities for career growth.
Search millions of jobs and get the inside scoop on companies with employee reviews, personalized salary tools, and more. Hiring? Post a job for free.
60594 Remote jobs available. See salaries, compare reviews, easily apply, and get hired. New Remote careers are added daily on SimplyHired.com. The low-stress way to …
The best way to find jobs in your town or city is to use multiple strategies at once. Read below for a list of techniques to use to find a job in your area .
Interested in finding out what you can do with a software engineering … for software engineers to possess good written … at major engineering …
Empire Resume says:
Hi Kevin. Please submit your resume for a free review and I’ll see how I may be able to help.
First off, where do you look ? … When searching on school district or board of education pages, you’ll find job openings for a variety of positions.
Raymond Hatfield says:
I advise you to write such sorts of posts daily to provide
the audience like me all the necessary info. In my view, it’s far better to
be ready for all the unexpected scenarios beforehand, so
thanks, it was pretty cool.